Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Remembering Nigel Kneale and Quatermass

The BBC Radio program "Free Thinking," hosted by Matthew Sweet, had a 48 minute program on November 5th, titled "Quatermass." Guests include Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat, Clare Langhamer, Una McCormack and Matthew Kneale, the son of Nigel Kneale.  I quite enjoyed this.  It's available for listening here.

Here's a quote from Matthew Kneale on his father:
I remember him mostly as somebody who taught me an enormous amount about writing, and we used  to watch television programs all the time, and he'd dissect them ruthlessly, and say "that makes no sense!" He was very, very proud of his ability to understand the structure of a piece, and he was very good at the structure. And I learned a huge amount. I learned that you can't get away with thing if they don't make perfect sense, if you haven't thought them through. That's a lesson I've never forgotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment